Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Hello, London! June 23

“When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable.” - Clifton Fadiman


As we got our first glimpse of the verdant landscape of England, I couldn't help but pipe up and say, "It's the motherland!" The United States' history is so intrinsically tied to that of England, and we hear and know so much about her that in a way, it does somewhat feel like "home."

One of the things I took most delight in was the change in language. After "queuing" up in the passport line, I took the "lift" down to baggage "reclaim". As I stood waiting for the Gatwick Express (pronounced Ga-twick, not Gat-wick), I was told to "mind the gap." I ordered "Pepsi raw" at the pub. My sandwich's bread slices were called something so foreign to me, that I can't remember it.

Tomorrow starts the true Yankee invasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment