Monday, July 6, 2009

Monday, July 6, 2009 - Flowers, Flying and the Fab Four

“A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it.” - John Steinbeck



We've had such good fortune over the past two weeks with the weather that it's ironic that the day we officially were to visit a garden, have a picnic and fly a kite that the skies opened up. But as several people said, "It wouldn't be London without rain."


Regent's Park, which is open through the grace and favor of the queen, is very large and is full of gardens and lawns--a place where you could curl up with a good book and umbrella and spend the day relaxing. I know I've said this before, but I wish I could record the fragrant aromas of the English gardens to send to you.




By the time we reached Primrose Hill, one of the highest spots in London, the rain had dispersed and we sat on blankets to eat our picnic lunches. Some were too eager to fly their kites, so they took off first. The wind was very cooperative and soon we had about half a dozen kites soaring. My own kite wouldn't cooperate at first, but I finally moved to a spot where it swooped and dove like a bird. Several people's kites did not survive -- crash and burn! It was crazy fun for us goofy adults.



We then made a pilgrimage to Abbey Road and took photos of the crosswalk where the Beatles had their album cover shot. Yes, we went across in fours (and in a couple cases 5). I don't have photos of me yet (someone else took them) but I did take a photo of my grandkids and Marvin there. It's quite a busy interesection. The people in the neighborhood are probably sick of all the people who stop traffic there!



We arrived back at the flat early to rest up for this evening's performance of Billy Elliot at the Victorian Palace Theater. Too bad there's not a tub to soak in! I could use it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment